Why be an Exchange Student
The Exchange Programs
Long Term Exchange Program
Short Term Exchange Program
Rotary and ESSEX
What is Rotary and ESSEX
For Teachers & Schools
For Host Families
Prospective Rotary Clubs
For the ESSEX Inbound
Travel & Tours
For the ESSEX Outbound
Host Family Sign up
Volunteer Sign up
YEO Web Portal
Guarantee Form F & Hosting Form
Certification and/or Process
US Department of State
Tzell Travel Agency
CISI - BOLDUC Insurance
ESSEX Executive Board
ESSEX - Eastern States Student Exchange Welcomes you to the Rotary Youth Exchange Program!
We are happy you have decided to become an Exchange Student and it is our hope that you will have the experience of a lifetime.
ESSEX's 34 Rotary Districts are located in the Northeastern United States, Quebec Canada and Bermuda. You will be one of approximately 200 exchange students placed in ESSEX.
There are important steps that MUST be completed prior to your arrival into the USA. Please review the following check list so that you and your parents understand your responsibilities.
- You must complete the online registration once you receive the email from ESSEX.
- It is very important for you to correspond immediately with your Hosting Rotary District, Hosting Rotary Club and Host Family as soon as you have received this information. Communication is going to be a very important task that should begin immediately.
- You MUST purchase and arrive with a ROUNDTRIP transportation ticket. Students that arrive without a return flight ticket exchange could be terminated within 10 days.
- You MUST purchase CISI Bolduc Health Insurance - Plan B Insurance or B+, prior to arrival. This is mandatory. You will receive an email from ESSEX with a special link to complete the application prior to your departure.
- Required immunization. You must show proof of proper immunization as required by your Hosting school district.
- You must return a set of Signed ESSEX Inbound Rules and Guidelines signed by both student and parents to your Hosting District Chair (scanned copy is acceptable)
- You will receive an email with a link to provide your flight information prior to your exchange. Please also email your travel itinerary to your Hosting District Chair, your Club Counselor and your Host family, once you have secured your airplane tickets.
Your Hosting District will have other paperwork and specific instructions that you will need to complete. Please respond immediately to any requests from your hosting district so that your exchange can proceed without delay.
FINANCAL RESPONSIBILITIES for the Inbound Student:
It is important for the student and his/her parents to understand the financial responsibilities for the Inbound Student. The following list details the costs to Inbound Students.
Mandatory CISI Bolduc MUST be purchased from CISI Bolduc Health Insurance Plan B or B+
To view current costs for insurance:
Travel Expenses, airfare, passport, visa
Range from $1400-2800 USD
Many Districts require you to bring an “emergency fund”, which will be given to the District Chair upon your arrival. At the end of the year, if you have not incurred any unusual or unexpected expenses,, your full “emergency fund” will be returned to you prior to your departure.
Range from $300-$500 USD
Possible Travel Opportunities, approved by your Hosting District may be available. These trips are optional.
Range from $100-$2500 USD
All phone/computer/internet charges, reasonable spending money, appropriate clothing, toiletries and other personal items
Responsibility of the student
As a Rotary Exchange Student you will receive an allowance from your Hosting Rotary Club each month.
Range from $75-$125 USD
***Prior to the student's arrival into the USA, the Host District will send detail information regarding specific financial responsibilities pertaining to your hosting district. Please check with your Hosting District for details.
ESSEX and Rotary International have every students best interest and safety in mind during this exchange year. For this reason, ESSEX, has in place, a "Student Protection Policy" which will be provided to you.
If you have any concerns or questions regarding the students responsibilities to his/her hosting Rotary District please contact the District Chair or Inbound Coordinator of the hosting District.