You can bring the world closer by sponsoring an exchange student.
Give students the ability to expand their boundaries
Hosting exchange students demonstrates a Rotary club’s commitment to International Service and is also rewarding and fun for members. As a participating club, you will also have an impact on helping a young person experience a safe way to open their minds by experiencing a new culture.
The Long-term Program
- Visit local high schools and/or local community organizations in early fall to promote the Rotary exchange program and recruit prospective students. The children of club members also represent an opportunity to recruit prospective students.
- Meet with interested students and their families and conduct interviews.
- Invite outbound students to one or more Rotary meetings prior to leaving and upon their return.
- Find host families. Families can be either Rotarians or community members.
- Coordinate inbound student enrollment in school.
- Designate a club member to serve as the inbound student’s counselor. This individual can be the exchange officer.
- Counselors and Volunteers working with students must have a COVID Vaccine
- Invite inbound student to participate in club meetings (including providing transportation to and from meetings), service projects and social events.
- Provide the student a designated monthly allowance. This is required for long-term exchange students and is paid directly to students in accordance with the U.S. State Department.
- Pay additional hosting costs as determined by your District Youth Exchange committee.
The Short-term Program
- Find students and families who wish to participate in a one-to-one summer exchange.
- Interview students and parents.
- Invite both the outbound and inbound students to participate in meetings.
ESSEX Exchange COVID Vaccine Policy
Applies to all Short Term and Long Term Students.
In order to participate in the ESSEX program, ESSEX requires you to provide proof of a COVID vaccine.
This is an ESSEX requirement.
This policy is effective July 15, 2021 until further notice.
Ready to Get Started?
Contact your District Youth Exchange Chair.
Apply to become a Youth Exchange volunteer.