The world is yours when you study abroad for a year.
Take the adventure of a lifetime on long-term exchange
As a long-term exchange student, you’ll live with host families while you study at another school for a year. You’ll become fluent in the local language, build lifelong friendships, and get to understand first-hand the people, traditions, food and history of what makes the country you travel to unique.
Sure, the year will be full of surprises and you’ll learn a lot about who you are along the way, but you’ll embark on an adventure you’ll never forget. And, while there are costs involved, being part of the Rotary exchange program means most of the costs to live and study abroad are covered.
Find out if long-term exchange is for you:
- You can commit to being away from home for a year
- You’re curious and like learning about other cultures
- Comfortable learning another language
- Open to other traditions, perspectives and ways of doing things
- Love meeting new people and making lifelong friendships
- You’re okay living with a different family or families
- Want to learn more about you and your personal interests
- You’re looking to stand out on your college or job applications
- You’re interested in being a positive ambassador for your country
- It’s acceptable if some of your high school credits don’t transfer
- Age: 15 through 18 (cannot be older than 18.5 by August 1 of departure year)
- Must have a valid passport
- Attend school in your host country
- Willingness to serve as a positive example for your country
- Participation in mandatory orientation session prior to leaving
- Must have a COVID Vaccine
- Room and board – you’ll live with host families
- Youth protection card
- Orientation meeting
- Application fee
- Visa and passport expenses
- CISI health and liability insurance
- Cost of round-trip airfare to and from your home
- Travel agency fees
- Emergency and spending money
- Optional participation in group trips
- Fall – Apply and participate in interviews
- Spring – Orientation
- Summer – Travel
How to Apply
Ready to pack your bags? Learn how to apply.
See which countries you can study abroad for a year.
Interested in study abroad? We’re here to help.